Firefighter One (FF1) is a first responder apparatus, gear, equipment, and uniform distributor based in New Jersey. For over 14 years, we've been serving fire departments. Today, our prominent Service Department is looking for a highly motivated and skilled person to fill the FULL-TIME position of Fire & Rescue Apparatus Technician.
Note: This position will provide in-house repairs and maintenance at our Sparta Facility, with road appointments when necessary throughout New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Technician must supply his/her own basic tools.
Essential Duties & Job Responsibilities*
- Troubleshoot and repair air and hydraulic brake systems. Adjust, repair and/or replace shoes, caliper, drums, rotors, cylinders, etc.
- Troubleshoot and/or replace air conditioning, coolant and electrical systems
- Troubleshoot and/or replace running gear
- Troubleshoot and/or replace fuel systems
- Repair and/or replace body and chassis parts
- Repair misc. firefighting and EMS loose equipment
- Troubleshoot, repair and/or replace fire pump apparatus pumps in accordance with NFPA testing standards
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance programs. Change filters (oil, fuel, air), lube, service batteries, cooling systems, change oil, check tires for air pressure and wear, etc.
- Install and assist with installing special automotive and emergency equipment including tools and other devices.
*Others may be assigned.
Must have the ability to read and comprehend simple instruction and correspondence as well as transcribe daily notes into service software. Proficient verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively present information to customers and other employees.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- 3+ years of experience in fire apparatus maintenance/repair required.
- Valid CDL Class B Required
- EVT/ASE certifications preferred
- Knowledge of up-to-date methods of maintaining emergency vehicles
- Knowledge of operating principles and maintenance of gasoline and diesel powered engines.
- Knowledge of NFPA 1911 Standards
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work well with others and also be self-sufficient and work independently when needed
- Positive and upbeat demeanor
- Ability to multitask and adapt to an ever changing work environment